Every year when Fall begins cooling the evenings down I start hearing more and more fire alarms from the local fire station. I asked our local fire chief if there were pronounced reasons for this noticeable increase in residential fires. Here are our fire chief’s reasons for the seasonal increases in residential fires:
1. Some residences do not inspect their stoves, chimneys, fireplaces, and other solid-fueled heating equipment. Advise… all heating devices should be checked annually.
2. People buy new electrical heating devices each Fall and attached them to overloaded electrical outlets. Advise… plug electrical heaters directly into the wall socket and isolate the heating device away from walls and beds.
3. Some residences stock the fireplace up and then leave the room for the night. Advise… if you want to leave your fireplace burning overnight, then please install a glass safety door.
4. People leave space heaters on when they leave the room. Simple advise… Never leave space heaters on when you leave the room.
5. Some residences do not pay attention to the maximum light bulb wattage for their lamps which results in the lamps overheating. Advise… do not exceeding the maximum light bulb wattage for your lamps.
General advise… when Fall comes around please purge your house of stacks of newspapers and magazines. Check the batteries in your smoke detectors. Check your fire extinguisher… or perhaps add a few new fire extinguishers around the house or in the workshop. Don’t leave candles burning when you are not in the room.
The last piece of advice was… “If you have questions call your local fire department.” Trust me, they have seen it all and can give you really good advise.