Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a silent killer. It’s an invisible, odorless, tasteless gas that is heavier than the air we breathe. When gas or another fossil fuel burns, carbon monoxide is often one of the by-products. There are many things that can put your home and family at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning including an improperly ventilated garage, kitchen, or a malfunctioning air-conditioning and heating system. Carbon Monoxide is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths
in America. Don’t let your family become victim to this dangerous gas.
The first step to protecting your family from CO poisoning is educating yourself about the issue. Given that the gas is colorless, odorless and tasteless, most people are unable to tell when they are in the presence of dangerous carbon monoxide until it is already too late. Mild carbon monoxide poisoning may appear like the flu, with mild respiratory symptoms and lethargy; more serious poisoning can lead to difficulty breathing and even death. When people are exposed to high amounts of CO, they can die in only 15 minutes.
The second step in protecting yourself and your family from CO poisoning is by installing and simple CO detector. Carbon Monoxide detection is simple and easy and requires only a smoke-detector like contraption plugged into a wall or integrated with your home security system.
Use these tips to avoid the tragedy of CO poisoning.